Who are ‘Friends of the Hurtwood?

Friends of the Hurtwood (FotH) is a registered UK charity (200053). Its summary objects are to provide facilities to the public for healthy open air recreation and to provide and preserve public access to relevant lands, in particular, heathland and woodland in Surrey to conserve, protect and improve the environment and history of such land and to educate the public in this environment, its history and its conservation, protection and improvement

We encourage regular annual donations because this ensures continuous employment of the Hurtwood Ranger, recreational access to the Hurtwood for walkers, horse riders and cyclists and, the provision of free car parking.

By donating you become a Member of our Charity who can vote at Annual Meetings and be proposed as a member of our governing body.

Your donation will help ensure public access to this much prized woodland is secure for the forseeable future. Your donation to the Hurtwood will help to:

  • Employ a full time Ranger.
  • Manage 30 miles of registered footpaths and bridleways, 30 miles of unofficial tracks, firebreaks and 14 car parks, which together provide unrivalled access to the Hurtwood’s heath and hills
  • Create and preserve wildlife habitats, and other conservation projects.
  • Maintain panoramic views from the Hurtwood hills
  • Clear and prevent litter and fly tipping.
  • Protect three scheduled monuments including the Holmbury Hill Iron Age Hill Fort.
  • Encourage children to treasure the countryside.
  • Protect and conserve the Hurtwood, so that everyone can enjoy its freedom and beauty

Other ways to help. You can help when you shop on line.

When you use easyfundraising to shop with any of our 4,000 retailers, the retailer makes a small donation to say thank you and we send those free funds to your cause. 

Thank you for your support.

If you have any questions about your membership or need to update us about a change of email address or postal address please contact us at [email protected] 

You can only change or cancel your direct debit or standing order by contacting your bank.