Covid-19 update May 18th 2020
The Friends of the Hurtwood has issued the following updated guidance to safeguard local residents and visitors to the Hurtwood:
Government restrictions remain in force: maintain social distancing at all times; respect the rights of others
Our car parks are busy again, especially at weekends. If a car park is full please come back another time or, use an alternative Hurtwood car park, see: Car park locations
Also please note:
Peaslake Village Store is open only for essential purchases. However the Store has been given permission to operate a pop-up facility at weekends in Walking Bottom, serving a limited range of takeaway refreshments
No refreshments are available anywhere else in Peaslake
The Cycle Shop and Hurtwood Inn are closed, tables and chairs in Peaslake Centre have been removed
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE LITTER – TAKE IT HOME – DISPOSE OF IT RESPONSIBLY
The Hurtwood is over 2,000 acres of privately owned Common land in the Surrey Hills
Friends of the Hurtwood, registered charity No. 200053, has the responsibility to raise the funding required to manage public access and protect the Hurtwood environment
We are A UK Registered Charity managing public access to the Hurtwood for all
A donation to Friends helps to
- Employ a full time Ranger.
- Manage 30 miles of registered footpaths and bridleways, 30 miles of unofficial tracks, firebreaks and 14 car parks, which together provide unrivalled access to the Hurtwood’s heath and hills
- Create and preserve wildlife habitats, and other conservation projects.
- Maintain panoramic views from the Hurtwood hills
- Clear and prevent litter and fly tipping.
- Protect three scheduled monuments including the Holmbury Hill Iron Age Hill Fort.
- Encourage children to treasure the countryside.
Protect and conserve the Hurtwood, so that everyone can enjoy its freedom and beauty
Keep in touch – Subscribe to our Newsletter
If you are not a Member of Friends of the Hurtwood but would like to receive our twice yearly Newsletter please complete the form. Your data is safe – we don’t share this information.